We have lived our entire lives with dogs, been in business with The Light of Dog since 2003, and currently live on a farm with our dogs. We want to positively impact the lives of our dogs in the six major areas of their lives: (1) choosing our next dog; (2) providing quality, holistic-based healthcare; (3) positive reinforcement-based training; (4) high quality nutrition sourced humanely through organic and regenerative agricultural standards; (5) environmentally responsible, non-toxic products; and, (6) enjoying life and sharing our adventures with them. Through our business, we create content, services and products consistent with our standards in these areas. Our goal is to live life to the fullest with our dogs and aim to inspire others to do the same. This is a monthly magazine published digitally and in print by The Light of Dog. Please subscribe your email to receive these digitally from the footer subscribe form on any page of our website.
IN THIS ISSUE
ISSUE # 105 MAY 2019
Choosing My Dog: Choosing the breed of your next dog | Breed Considerations | Adding Another Dog
Healthcare For My Dog: What is Canine Compulsive Disorder (CCD) and is your dog affected? | A few natural methods to control fleas on your dog and in your home | Genetic Diseases—Which Breeds Are Most Predisposed? | A Very Common Trigger of Hind Limb Lameness, Pain and Arthritis | Animal Drug Safety Communication: FDA Alerts Pet Owners and Veterinarians About Potential for Neurologic Adverse Events Associated with Certain Flea and Tick Products
Train My Dog: Communicating with our dogs
Nutrition For My Dog: Be Wary of Dog Food Products That Use The Word “Natural” or Other Healthy-Sounding Words | Dog Food Recalls Directory
Products For My Dog: Bully sticks that we use for our dogs and which work well for some heavy chewers | The problem with tennis balls for playing fetch and what we use instead
Adventures With My Dog: My 2019 Spring Break Trip With Mom and Dad | New Documentary Interviews With Stormy, Duke, Maizey, Yeti, & Lando
Calendar: New Class! Capturing The Light of Your Dog: Photography Class With Your Dog | Classes and Events Schedule
ADVENTURES WITH MY DOG
New Documentary Interviews This Month
Below are new videos of dogs we meet to give you ideas and inspiration for your own dog. The videos are generally short and allow you to meet the dog, get to know a little about their background and their breed, and hear from their owners what goals and activities they want for their dog.
Capturing The Light of Your Dog: Photography Class With Your Dog
Do you want to capture your dog’s personality and his/her authentic moments with quality images? Then this is the class for you! We will go over the tricks of the trade to get great portraits, candids and action shots. This class will not only help you photograph your dog but will also upgrade all your photo skills. Click here for details
JUST FOR FUN
This month's mashup includes short clips of the following:
- Fraser, Willy and Lando meet-and-greet
- Winnie learning to skateboard
- Socialization in puppy preschool
- Lucy, Koufax and Zuzu in slow-mo
- Sadie and Ollie in slow-mo
- Time-lapse sequences planting out the farm, setting up our outdoor training area, sunrises and Colorado clouds.
Upcoming Classes in Highlands Ranch
Our Tuesday evening classes are held outdoors at Redstone Community Park and other locations, all within close proximity to Santa Fe and C-470. Please note these classes are only held during the spring/summer when longer daylight hours permit us to work outdoors.
- Juvenile Delinquents/Polite Pooches Combo Class: Tuesdays, 6:00 pm; new class to start June 4
- Polite Pooches in Public: Saturdays: working out details on this one, hope to have it on our website soon!
Upcoming Classes at The Light of Dog Farm
Our full day of Sunday classes are at The Light of Dog Farm.
- Puppy Preschool: Sundays 1:15 pm, classes are rolling enrollment, join any time space is available!
- Basic Training: Sundays 2:30 pm; new class starts 6/23
- Juvenile Delinquents: Sundays 3:45 pm; new class starts 6/23
- Intermediate Training: Sundays 10:45 am; new class starts 5/12
- The Nose Knows: Sundays 12 pm, next round has not yet been scheduled yet
- Dog Parkour: Sundays 5:00 pm, new class starts 6/23
- Rabbit Recall: Sundays 12:00 pm, new class starts 6/23
- Fun & Games Class: Sundays 10:45 am, new class starts 7/21
- Photography class: Sundays 9:00 am, new class starts 6/2
Upcoming Events at The Light of Dog Farm
We have open house events on the last Sunday of most months, available for current and past customers and free of charge to attend. Upcoming events are scheduled as follows:
- May: No Open House
- June 23
- July 28
WHO IS THE LIGHT OF DOG
Zuzu (Greyhound): Social director, personal trainer, and chief protector from potential intruders. Romeo (Vizsla) is still with us in spirit, though we lost him in May 2018.
Wife & Husband
Sue Brown, behavior consultant, dog trainer and writer extraordinaire and Ed Soehnel, dog products and marketing.