In This Newsletter:
The 2019 Train Your Dog Issue
Feature Articles, Videos and Infographics: Teaching the “what can you do” cue | Demo of Parkour Skills and Giving Your Dog Choices | Default behaviors from your dog
Fun Stuff We Did in December: 2018 December Video Mashup | December 2018 Pics of the Month | Most Popular Facebook and Instagram Post in December
Calendar and Group Class Schedules: Upcoming Classes at The Light of Dog Farm and in Littleton & Highlands Ranch | Upcoming events at The Light of Dog Farm.
Training For Your Dog
New Videos and Articles
The “what can you do?” cue is one that we used a lot with Romeo, especially when he was young. We call it a “cue” but really it's more of a game. Because “what can you do” is not a specific behavior, rather it is asking your dog to choose a specific behavior themselves.
This cue in theory is pretty simple: we ask our dogs, “What can you do?” and then reward them for behaviors they offer that we like. If they offer a behavior we do not like, we do not reward. Technically, jumping on you, for example, is something they can do. But it's not necessarily something we want to encourage!
But reaching the stage in our dog's training level to successfully use this cue takes some effort. While in theory it's easy, we are teaching a concept that is not necessarily an easy one…keep reading.
Just For Fun
Upcoming Classes in Highlands Ranch
Our Tuesday evening classes are held outdoors at Redstone Community Park and other locations, all within close proximity to Santa Fe and C-470. Please note these classes are only held during the spring/summer when longer daylight hours permit us to work outdoors.
- Juvenile Delinquents: next round in spring/summer 2019
- Polite Pooches Class: next round in spring/summer 2019
Upcoming Classes at The Light of Dog Farm
Our full day of Sunday classes are at The Light of Dog Farm.
- Puppy Preschool: Sundays 1:15 pm, classes are rolling enrollment, join any time that space is available!
- Basic Training: Sundays 2:30 pm, new class starts 1/6
- Juvenile Delinquents Class: Sundays 3:45 pm, new class starts 1/6
- Intermediate Training: Sundays 10:45 am, new class starts 1/6
- The Nose Knows: Sundays 5:00 pm, new class starts 1/13
- Fun & Games Class: Sundays, 9:30 am, new class starts 1/6
- Rabbit Recall: next round will be spring/summer 2019
- Dog Parkour: next round will be in spring/summer 2019
Upcoming Events at The Light of Dog Farm
We have open house events on the last Sunday of most months, available for current and past customers and free of charge to attend. Upcoming events are scheduled as follows:
- January 27
- February 24
- March 24
- April 28
- May: No Open House
Zuzu (Greyhound): Social director, personal trainer, and chief protector from potential intruders. Romeo (Vizsla) is still with us in spirit, though we lost him in May 2018.
Wife & Husband
Sue Brown, behavior consultant, dog trainer and writer extraordinaire and Ed Soehnel, dog products and marketing.